The contaminated zone encompasses at least 55 acres of northern Brooklyn...
..and it's moving, like a living thing. Hydrocarbon and other spills dating back over a hundred years have pooled beneath the streets of New York, and are now gathering and rising, ready to claim their own...There is talk of vapours, residuals, and glazes. Some speak simply of "The Ooze":
Elsewhere, a border fence begins a muted, atonal clang and hum, a dirge for its own existence that ramifies and spreads across the globe from Nogales to Nablus...the world resounds to the noise of structures in pain, begging for their own death.
And if the Greenpoint Blob could be wired for sound, and communicate with the other sumps and sheeny oozes that must exist beneath every city on every continent, what threnodies and laments would we hear then?
Loose Objects, undated (3 small boxes and 1 item; not scanned)
First small box contains:
* Moth specimen in small rectangular box (with a note from Benton attached, indicating that she intended to give it as a gift to Lane [Faison])
* Papier-mache pull-toy horse with notes in square cardboard box
* Stuffed bird figures, matchboxes, plastic toy, clockhands, and metal pendents in small round box
* Box containing cloth from the funeral car and flowers from the funeral wreath of Ulysses S. Grant (with notes identifying material and indicating that it was "presented by Rev. Stephen Merritt")
Second small box contains:
* Paperweight, container of buttons, wood and cork pieces, wooden beads, piece of driftwood, and small bell in square cardboard box
* Metal grasshopper figure
Third small box contains:
* Metal pencil case (rusted)
* Plastic dolls
* Shell box
Item: Round wooden box (6-3/4" in diameter)
A found poem, from the papers of Joseph Cornell. Via Moon River.
From design studio Atelier Carvalho Bernau:
For every invitation or post card we produce, we print another layer on colour on top of the existing design of the last post card. Additionally to the fact that past invitations are visible underneath the succeeding ones, a bread crumb tail at the top of the card connects all invitations and post cards. This is one element of the house style that will reappear in other applications.
Via a post at ètapes
More nice ideas:
Some pretty party fish from PK
"How I love chains of referents! There’s a passage in Lyn Hejinian’s terrific Slowly that enacts it precisely:
Look up cloud quantity, see organization, suction, cascade (antonym: fixity)
Look up cascade, see deliberation, failure, sincerest repeat
Look up sincerest repeat, see aftermath
Look up aftermath, see fugue, history, perceptible color
Look up perceptible color, see unit of cognition, common sense, paint
Look up paint, see painting (antonym: blank)
Look up painting, see critical inches, see color (above), cobalt gray viridian gray gray lake inch, look up
Look up inch, see premonition, fabric, millimeters
Look up millimeters, see wider films, see fate ramble, fate flicker, reality sucking up fate . ."
That's the best description of how I browse the web I've ever read...